Today we rejoin the conversation with Martin Estlander the Founder and CEO of Estlander & Partners. If you missed the first part, feel free to listen to it here.
In this episode we explore the evolution of the CTA industry, the skills required to run a successful business and finally the fun, less known facts of Martin’s life outside of trading.
Welcome to episode 008, the second part of our conversations with Martin Estlander.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- The best rule of thumb to visualize risk in a traditional CTA portfolio
- What Martin has learned from being in drawdowns and the difference between drawdowns before and after 2009
- The effect of volatility in the markets and how this impact CTA performance
- How Martin Estlander manages the emotional roller coaster
“I would also look into how stable the organization is expected to be and where people find the inspiration to work: how driven they are by money, and how driven they are by other factors, and I think that this is something that is really underestimated today”
- Research processes and research cycles at Estlander & Partners
- How to identify and address systems that were working but now aren’t
- The biggest challenge for Estlander & Partners going forward
- What are investors not asking that they should be asking when choosing a CTA
- Where the misunderstandings can happen for investors when trying to understand the CTA industry
“This is the biggest difference from the past, when you analyze everything from this perspective, it doesn’t look all that strange, and, in fact, the drawdown has been, believe it or not, a lot lower than what would have expected in this environment”
- How to become better at communicating with investors
- Martin’s key traits to success in the CTA industry
- Personal habits that have contributed to the success of Martin Estlander
“These strategies are in many ways not intuitive. On the contrary, they are a bit counter intuitive in how they work and when they work. That makes it difficult for investors to grasp.”
- How Martin manages failures and improves from them
- The things Martin would do differently if he started over today
Resources & Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- Learn about Commodities Corporation, the company behind some of the all-time great traders
Sponsored by Swiss Financial Services and Saxo Bank:
Connect with Estlander & Partners:
Visit the Website: www.estlanderpartners.com
Phone: +358 (0) 20 7613 300
If you missed the first part of this interview, feel free to listen to it here.