“The simpler systems are usually the better ones.” – Andreas Clenow (Tweet)
Our guest today is a successful trader, businessman, and author. He is known for his books Following The Trend and Stocks on the Move, and after an impressive career at Reuters finance he moved on to ACIES Asset Management in Switzerland.
In our conversation, we discuss trend following and the need to keep it simple, the mistakes that retail traders make, and how to start a new firm in this day and age.
Thanks for listening and please welcome our guest Andreas Clenow.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- The many skill sets that Andreas has
- How he wrote the books that he is known for
- Why he has a large degree of flexibility with his firm and the capital they manage
- How he grew up in a small town in Sweden…with lots of cows!
- About the computer company that he started
“The better you are at getting things done, the less they let you do it.” – Andreas Clenow (Tweet)
- How he became head of the Reuters Development Team in Geneva for equities and commodities
- How he left the corporate world
“Make yourself visible, and someone will find you.” – Andreas Clenow (Tweet)
- How he started at ACIES
- What Andreas does when he is not working
- The books he has written about systematic trading strategies
- The value of simplicity
- What Andreas thinks about trend following
“The number of actual trend followers is now quite small.” – Andreas Clenow (Tweet)
- The issues with doing trend following on stocks
- How he got the freedom to write a book
“Hopefully the way I explain it is new, but there are no secrets in my books.” – Andreas Clenow (Tweet)
- What retail traders will get from his books
- Why managing your own money is a bad trade
“The main mistake that retail traders do is that they take on risks that would get people fired in the hedge fund world.” – Andreas Clenow (Tweet)
- What he thinks about technical analysis and how to define it
- What it takes to start a firm or trading business
“If you’re managing other people’s money in addition to your own, you can think more long term.” – Andreas Clenow (Tweet)
Resources & Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- Listen to our episode with Jerry Parker recapping 2014.
- A Definition of ATR (Average True Range).
- Buy Andreas’ books.
- Check out his website FollowingTheTrend.com.
This episode was sponsored by Eurex Exchange:
Connect with ACIES Asset Management:
Visit the Website: www.ACIES-am.com
Call ACIES: +41 44 868 41 11
E-Mail ACIES: info [at] acies-am.com
Follow Andreas Clenow on Linkedin
“It’s getting very strict and very expensive to comply with increasing regulatory requirements.” – Andreas Clenow (Tweet)