“The majority of investors just don’t take the time or don’t have the time to develop an understanding of just how we perform in different markets.” – Bastian Bolesta (Tweet)
In the second part of our interview with Bastian, we talk about the ins and outs of his trading program and how they came to create the current trading system that they run now. Niels talks with Bastian about drawdowns, risk management, and how investors should read and understand a manager’s track record. Listen in to find out more about Deep Field Capital and learn what it takes to be an successful emerging manager today.
Thank you for listening and welcome to Part 2 of our discussion with Bastian Bolesta.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- About the 23 potential markets that Bastian trades, and which ones are actually traded.
- How he uses a “bus stop” metaphor to explain which markets get picked for trading.
“Do not necessarily try to do everything in-house.” – Bastian Bolesta (Tweet)
- How he views risk and how he deals with risk management.
- If there are certain markets that are better performing for his strategies than others.
- What kinds of drawdowns he expects his strategy to go through.
“Our drawdowns tend to build up over time.” – Bastian Bolesta (Tweet)
- The three different types of investors that come in to his fund.
- What he learns from drawdowns when they happen.
“When you start trading external assets, you will go through a drawdown and have to manage these emotional aspects as well.” – Bastian Bolesta (Tweet)
- About the research and futures development that his firm conducts.
- What the biggest challenges are today for his business.
“We can’t fully escape the overall situation that the managed futures space is currently in.” – Bastian Bolesta (Tweet)
- What reason investors give for not investing in his fund.
- What question investors are not asking in their due diligence.
- If he was starting out today, the things he would have done differently.
“Really think about where you can develop and grow your business best.” – Bastian Bolesta (Tweet)
Resources & Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- Bastian recommends books by Nassim Taleb, including Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder.
This episode was sponsored by Swiss Financial Services:
Connect with Deep Field Capital:
Visit the Website: www.DeepFieldCapital.com
Call Deep Field Capital: +41 41 511 5588
E-Mail Deep Field Capital: email@example.com
“We as a team read a lot of books in order to gain an understanding about what is out there in terms of other managers and the space.” – Bastian Bolesta (Tweet)