It's not about how much money you manage in this business, it's about the quality. Can you deliver returns for your investors? If the quality is not there, the quantity will never come.—Jason Gerlach
Sunrise Capital was the first CTA (Commodity Trading Advisor) ever. The company has evolved considerably since it's inception in the 1970s.
Today on the show, Jason Gerlach, the Chief Executive Officer at Sunrise Capital joins us to discuss the history of the company and about the evolution of their trading strategy over nearly 4 decades. Sunrise has achieved astounding results over the lifetime of the company and Jason provides unique insights to the inner workings of Sunrise.
Thank you for visiting, now let's get to the interview with Jason Gerlach.
In This Episode, You'll Learn:
- The story of Sunrise Capitals founding in the early 1970s
- Rick Slaughter (Sunrise's Chief Researcher) founded Commodity Monitors - the First Hedge Fund/CTA firm ever launched
- Jack Forest (Sunrise Commodities) and Gary Davis (Cresta Commodities) - The doctors trading outside the hospital
- How the three pioneers of the CTA/Commodity Trading Industry came together to form Sunrise Capital Partners in the mid 90's
A good research idea is only as good as the implementation ability you have.—Jason Gerlach
- How Jason was brought on into the firm and developed a succession plan for the business
- The unexpected story of how Jason "the Attorney" turned into Jason "the Systematic Trading Guy"
- What Sunrise Capital Partners offer today?
- How does one structure a CTA firm like Sunrise, what functions and how do you manage them?
- The role of outsourcing in the day-to-day operations of Sunrise Capital Partners
- What Sunrise discovered in the early 00's which indicated to them a decay in long-term trend following and how they responded
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.—Vince Lombardi
Did you Know:
In trend following strategies, 90% of profits are made from long side trades, rather than short side trades.
Rule based strategies can be carried forward for many decades.—Jason Gerlach
Resources & Links Mentioned in this Episode:
Learn more about the Sunrise Capital Team
Visit the Website: www.sunrisecapital.com
Call Jason Gerlach - +1 (858) 259 8911
E-Mail Jason Directly: JGerlach@sunrisecapital.com
Follow Sunrise on LinkedIn or follow Sunrise on Twitter
Download the article Niels mentioned: Fallacies to Avoid When Selecting a CTA
We would need a room of 20 traders to do what we're doing now, 20 years ago.—Jason Gerlach