In this episode, we discuss:
- How asset allocation is handled by a successful public pension fund like Fairfax County Retirement System
- How they manage risk and create balance in their portfolios
- How instability in the markets has shaped their strategy
- How they look at return expectations
- The (brave) move into digital assets
- Manager selection
- Skills and challenges of being a CIO
Follow Niels on Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Follow Alan on Twitter.
Follow Katherine on LinkedIn.
Follow Andrew on LinkedIn.
IT's TRUE 👀 - most CIO's read 50+ books each year - get your copy of the Ultimate Guide to the Best Investment Books ever written here.
And you can get a free copy of my latest book "The Many Flavors of Trend Following" here.
Learn more about the Trend Barometer here.
And please share this episode with a like-minded friend and leave an honest rating & review on iTunes or Spotify so more people can discover the podcast.
0:00 - Intro
03:05 - Overview of Fairfax County’s asset allocation strategy
14:27 - How has the current market affected their strategy?
19:35 - The growth of risk mitigation strategies
28:42 - Expectations of returns
37:02 - What scenario keeps Molnar and Spellar awake at night?
39:38 - Digital assets
51:05 - Manager selection
58:00 - Skills and challenges of being a CIO
01:04:30 - Advice on becoming a better trader
01:08:08 - Thanks for listening