"We are not a firm that is constantly tweaking models, trying to calibrate." - Aref Karim (Tweet)
In This Episode, You'll Learn:
- What strategies his firm uses regarding commodities and currencies.
"Some people make money by calling directions in the markets and others do it by just changing the level of conviction." - Aref Karim (Tweet)
- How Aref explains his investment strategy in a concise and understandable way.
"What we have is a mechanism which we believe quite efficiently tries to change the levels of convictions so that the portfolio is looked at as a whole." - Aref Karim (Tweet)
- Why volatility is an important source of information when making investment decisions.
- How to make the best of the current market environment and innovate.
"The environment we've seen over the last few years since the crisis has been extraordinary, it has been unusual." - Aref Karim (Tweet)
- Why his firm evolves their model on a macro level and does not change the model every time the markets change.
- How QCM manages risk.
- Aref's perspective on drawdowns and how to make investors comfortable with drawdowns and see them as an opportunity.
"You can never predict drawdowns - it's like going on a holiday at the beach and expecting perfectly sunny weather at the right time, and then suddenly encountering rain and adverse weather - those things just happen." - Aref Karim (Tweet)
- How investors should be evaluating the track records of managers given that some firms' models have changed over time.
- How growth and technology have effected the relationship managers have with potential investors and why it is still best to meet the manager in person.
- When investors ask questions of potential managers, the economic alignment question often gets left out.
"They just want to jump straight into the model, does the model do this or that, as opposed to understanding maybe the higher philosophy." - Aref Karim (Tweet)
- What it takes to be a successful fund manager: treating it like a business even if you are investing for yourself.
- Aref's personal appreciation for the arts, art galleries, opera, and jazz. How it inspires him.
- How Aref sees the current state of QCM and why he believes in its future.
"Assets have sort of come down from where they were - but we look at that as real, this is how things are. Longtermism is something that is very crucial to me, I'm passionate about it." - Aref Karim (Tweet)
Resources & Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- Learn about Long Volatility vs Short Volatility, mentioned as "Long Vol" by Aref in the episode.
- Aref's suggestions on becoming a successful fund manager:
This episode was sponsored by Swiss Financial Services:
Connect with Quality Capital Management (QCM):
Visit the Website: www.QualityCapital.com
Call QCM: +44 (0) 1932 33 44 00
E-Mail QCM: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow QCM on Linkedin
"The old touch and feel, the real story - the right story - from the managers side is a scarce opportunity these days." - Aref Karim (Tweet)