"Commodities have this romance and physicality that is sort of missing in bonds and equities on pieces of paper." - Mike Coleman (Tweet)
In This Episode, You'll Learn:
- Where Mike grew up and how his upbringing shaped his career.
"From quite an early age, I was always trying to figure out how you might be able to make money." - Mike Coleman (Tweet)
- How he was interested in travel from an early age, and found out about commodity trading in his final year of university.
- How he started out as a commodity merchant with Cargill.
- How he fell into rubber trading which led him to Singapore in 1984.
- About the beginnings of RCMA.
"We gave the market the product we had - and we were lucky that it happened to coincide with the period when the market really wanted the product." - Mike Coleman (Tweet)
- How the commodity markets have changed over the years, and what kinds of companies are still working with commodity trading.
- The most important things he learned at Cargill that helped in the management of his own firm.
- What he learned before computers become ubiquitous on trading desks.
"One of my jobs was to do the P&L by hand, hard to imagine these days." - Mike Coleman (Tweet)
- What Mike likes to do in his spare time.
- How to make sure you are set up for success when you start a business or firm.
- How you get through the hard times of your business as an entrepreneur.
- What he does to organize his firm to make it run in the best way possible.
- How they’ve dealt with a boom and bust phase in their business, including personnel.
"2011 was really the most difficult year for us and everyone." - Mike Coleman (Tweet)
- The way that he has built the culture in his business.
- How investors should read a track record from a discretionary trader.
- What patterns he looks for when trading for commodities.
"What happens in China is important, and it’s very important for many commodities." - Mike Coleman (Tweet)
Resources & Links Mentioned in this Episode:
Learn more about Cargill here.
This episode was sponsored by Swiss Financial Services:
Connect with RCMA:
Visit the Website: www.rcma-commodities.com
Call RCMA: +(65) 63322282
E-Mail RCMA: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Mike Coleman on Linkedin
"You have to be able to demonstrate to people that you can run a business as well." - Mike Coleman (Tweet)